- Can a deputy still come talk to me in person?
Yes, but be advised they may ask you to come outside. In addition, they may be in personal protection equipment including gloves and masks.
- I’m renting a house and have a private beach; can I still go to the beach?
Walton County Sheriff’s Office is encouraging all private property owners to close or stay off their beaches. Renters are not considered property owners. So, they are not permitted to use private beaches. Walton County Sheriff’s Office is asking the private property owners and the public to practice personal responsibility and set a good example for others by staying home and off the beach.
- Even though the beach is closed to the public, I own a house on the beach can I still go to the water?
Private property owners are allowed on their property which is from the mean high tidewater line to the dunes. The wet sand is public and public beaches are closed. In saying that, Walton County Sheriff’s Office is asking private property owners and the public to practice personal responsibility and set a good example for others by staying home and off the beach.
- I live out of state but own a house in Walton County, can I still come to my vacation house? Will I be able to leave once I enter Florida?
The White House has issued a statement, “Avoid discretionary travel, shopping trips, and social visits.” This link is from the CDC regarding US Travel. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/travel-in-the-us.html. Depending on your unique circumstances, you may choose to delay or cancel your plans. If you do decide to travel, be sure to take steps to help prevent getting and spreading COVID-19 and other respiratory diseases during travel. Our agency approach is to encourage folks to stay home. It’s imperative in helping to reduce the spread of this virus.
- Are the boat landings closed at the county parks? I want to go fishing and my boat will be more than 6 feet from others fishing.
Boat ramps are still open. Parks are closed. However, an Executive Order from FWC states you must have less than ten people on your vessel.
- Are all State, County, & City parks closed or just the County Parks?
All state and county parks are closed. All DeFuniak Springs city parks are closed with the exception of the Lake Yard.
- Where can I buy toilet paper?
Walton County Sheriff’s Office is not keeping a running list of stores that have supplies of toilet paper and other items. However, we would encourage residents to call stores ahead of time to see if they’ve restocked and use pick up when possible.
- I heard I can get the virus by touching clothes, cardboard, plastic, and metal. Is this true?
Yes, depending on how long the virus has been on the surface. Please follow FDOH and CDC guidelines and wash your hands regularly.
- Why are you asking me questions about having a fever, I just want a deputy not a medic?
Dispatchers are asking COVID-19 related questions for your safety as well as the safety of our first responders when you call either our emergency or our non-emergency lines.
- I need to go pick up my kids in another state, will I be able to re-enter Florida?
Yes, but depending on where your kids are located, you and your family may be required to self-isolate for 14 days following your return.
- If I leave my home in Walton County to go check on my other home in New Orleans can I come back to my home here?
Yes, but you will be required to self-isolate for 14 days following your return.
- Can deputies go to neighbor’s house down the street and break up a party because there are about 20 people there and they are not supposed to have more than 10?
Yes, according to Executive Order, no more than 10 people should be congregating regardless if on public or private property. To file a complaint if you see violation in the future you can contact our non-emergency line at (850)-892-8111.
- Are there checkpoints at all roads leading into Florida?
At this time, the Florida Department of Health and the Florida Department of Transportation is standing up state checkpoints to ensure this EO is carried out.
Florida Highway Patrol is assisting with the implementation and enforcement of checkpoints for motorists entering Florida on I-10 and I-95.
- Can we be on the beach and in the water if we own the house?
Private property owners are allowed on their property which is from the mean high tide water line to the dunes. The wet sand is public and public beaches are closed. In saying that, Walton County Sheriff’s Office is asking private property owners and the public to practice personal responsibility and set a good example for others by staying home and off the beach.
- If we came in contact with a person that is sick with all symptoms but has not been tested should we get tested or just self-quarantine?
CDC has guidance for who should be tested, but decisions about testing are at the discretion of state and local health departments and/or individual clinicians. Please contact your primary care physician or Walton County Florida Department of Health Department by calling 850- 892-8015
- Why does the rental house next door still have people from New York (or any other state) there when the governor has stopped all rental?
If you believe any licensee is operating contrary to the Governor’s Executive Order 20-71 or Executive Order 20-87, please report the information to DBPR using the below form: http://www.myfloridalicense.com/DBPR/eo-complaints/
- Can I still pick up/order food?
Yes, there are many restaurants in Walton County who are offering delivery or pick-up service.