FLOROSA — A woman and her 15 cats were burned out of their home early Tuesday morning.
The Florosa Volunteer Fire Department responded to the home on Austin Court, where they found the woman in her front yard.
She’d been sleeping in the room where a space heater ignited some items that were stored too close to it, according to Florosa Fire Chief Mark Lee.
Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire quickly before it spread to other rooms. The fire did burn through one section of the roof, making the home temporarily unlivable.
All of the woman’s cats made it out safely, though they resisted firefighters’ efforts to rescue them.
“We had six of them relocated into a shed,” Lee said. “They’re not very friendly. They got what they could and left the rest of them alone. Didn’t want to be attacked.”
Crews from Holley-Navarre Volunteer Fire District and Hurlburt Field assisted in fighting the fire.
The local branch of the American Red Cross assisted the woman financially to help her find temporary housing as well as replace food, clothing and medications lost in the fire,
Be the first to comment on "Woman, 15 cats escape home fire"